Thursday, December 21, 2006

Winter Wonderland

Taking a small break away from dusty temples and artifacts, I decided to grab the spirit of the season and look for a few locations that have been hit with the holiday spirit. Winter festivals tend to bring out the best in many cultures, whether its Christmas, Yule, and others of Earth, the New Sun Festivals of the Earladyn, or the Cold Anvil Tossing of the dwarves of Gahlcrag. So, in due respect for the fun that can be had amidst the snow and good cheer of that particular season, I went out doing what I do which is, of course, exploring.

I portalled into the winter wonderland of Nepenthe's Forge located in Aldi and was glad to see the snow was deep, the branches were covered, and the mood was just right. I had to find my way down through the hover platform and found myself within a great tree. Great trees and the houses built within them are a big favorite of mine. What better way to entwine yourself into nature, have a great view, and, at the same time, a decent dock for your airship's shuttle? The great tree at Nepenthes' Wonderland stands on the coast and towers over a small frozen pond where one can pick up not only a pair of skates but a few tossing snowballs and a cup of hot chocolate.


Also, much to my delight, I discovered that quite a few gnomes lived in the area. After approaching their houses slowly, I knocked to introduce myself under my ambassadorial title. There were rather shy and unwilling to get out into the cold but I did get to give them a decent winter's greetings. I left them with some small presents of chocolate which they seemed to appreciate.


Shortly after meeting the local gnomes, I ran into Lynn Stardust who had come to try out her ice skates. It also appeared that she had come to challenge someone to a snowball fight. Being one that is unable to refuse a challenge, I agreed to such a duel and snow began to fly. I, of course, was pummeled. However, I fall back on the fact it is very hard to take pictures while throwing snowballs. Shortly after claiming victory, it was necessary for her to depart.


I grabbed some hot cocoa and walked along the icy shoreline in the off chance that the surf had brought up something interesting. Unfortunately, I had no luck but I did find a small yurt tent wherein an obscure film called, "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" was cued and ready for playing. Now that.... that is entertainment.

Not having the time to enjoy a full showing, I strolled back to the pond and enjoyed peaceful birdsong and another cup of cocoa. The chill eventually worked its way through my explorer's coat and I began to portal back to my office. I was left with one amusing thought as I left. I wondered if they would ever make a sequel entitled, "Santa Conquers the Dwarves of Gahlcrag."






No comments: