Monday, January 15, 2007

Simply Eastward

I had been right in estimating the invisible walls would not hamper our travel closer to the water. Travelling Eastward, I neared a small structure that Miss Ofeq had mentioned earlier. Upon first viewing the building I was curious to explore it. However, within a few feet of me closing on the doorway, an explosion of images launched themselves outward toward me as if blasted from an ill-fitted steam pipe. What sorcery or insane technology was this? Fierce images of an angry man, perhaps a warrior, powerfully holding up an image of worldly globe between thumb and forefinger. His expressions suggesting a sense of control or even violence on the globe in his hand. His lips pulled back, his teeth bared, multiple copies of the same image assaulted my senses!

I fell to earth rather roughly in surprise and made to retreat after gaining my feet. The images continued, spewing outward in all directions, flying towards the heavens like a flock of avians launching themselves toward the horizon. I stepped back quickly and snapped a quick image with my crystal device. In my haste, I forgot to toggle the settings to a more vibrant color. However, after looking at the image it conveys more convincingly the brutal feeling of the assault. Removing myself to a far distance, the images subsided even though I could still see several floating outward above the ocean and drifting on the winds above the nearby hills. At about that time, perhaps drawn by the first explosion, a native wandered over and triggered the images again. I am completely perplexed as to what it all might mean and there was, as usual, no one around to answer my questions since the previous native flew off in fright. Perhaps it was some odd security system but that does not answer the question as to why that particular image? Given the buildings location close to the aforementioned temple, perhaps it was image of the Almighty Dollah? If so, I must reconsider my understanding of a diety that I thought to be gentle, caring, and supportive.

After the last image had drifted away, I circumvented the area and headed more towards the water. I found myself in a small patch of land that seemed to be completely lost to a take-back from Mother Nature herself. Large flowering trees choked the area, the perfume from their petals intoxicating and calming me after my earlier upset. I stopped at a small rivulet of fresh water to take in a few cupped handfuls of dazzling crystal clear water. The taste of it was fresh and cool. After the small respite, I felt more then ready to continue for the day.

Finally getting a closer view at some of the architecture here, I find that I am absolutely amazed at its complexity. I'm sure Miss Ofeq would be able to give a much more detailed analysis of it. I am no architect and, unfortunately, not much of a scientist either. However, let me say that when I compare the architecture of what I am seeing here to what I am aware of in Caledon, I can note the vast differences between the two cultures. One of the first things I have noticed so far is the Mainlander's fixation on size and color. If possible, everything here must be as large as possible or, if that will not work, it must be as bright and garish as possible. And, as witnessed in the temple to Dollah, both will work just fine as well! I offer here a pair of images of buildings I have been able to examine so far. The one structure on stilts was part of a long string
structures built along the shoreline. A sign near their front indicates they are being offered for rental space. The floating home was a wonder to behold, hovering above the narrow bay on its transparent base. Could it be that I was inaccurate in my first assessment of Mainlanders not being educated? From these buildings, and others I have seen, is it conceivable that a majority of the Mainlanders are brilliant in the realm of physics, construction, and science? Unfortunately, as seems to be the case in this area, most of the homes stand empty or I would have otherwise attained an interview to learn more. One question that continues is where are the owners of these buildings?



However, as can be seen here, some of them do seem to understand the necessity and pleasure of a quiet, out of the way, spot for reflection and meditation. I found this small fountain outside a large, nay, massive store that had mimicked Greco-Roman architecture. Perhaps this, this small little handcafted exhibit to thouthfulness and peace, more then anything else I have seen so far, would indicate that Mainlanders are not that far removed from us Caledonians.


And finally, I am happy to announce that I have finally heard word back from Caledon! The Expedition has been announced and word from other explorers is starting to make its way there. From what I understand, most are still healthy and persevering. Below I am sharing several addresses which should allow my readers to peruse what is happening elsewhere with this fine Expedition! Also, take a special note to the address posted first which is none other then the collected information of my current Expedition companion, Miss Mylinn Ofeq.

Exhibition of the Life and Times of Mylinn Ofeq at the Watkins Museum of History

Proceedings of the Royal Society

The Explorations of Justy

For now, we are continuing to head Eastward but also moving Northward as soon as possible. It s my hope to encounter a decently populated area soon.

2 comments:

Mister Nizz said...

My dear Mr. Buchanan...

It was with great pleasure that I read your exploits on the mainland. I look forward to further adventures with great eagerness.

Yours most respectfully,

Hotspur O'Toole,
Recent Visitor to Caledon,
Newly arrived on this World

Bry said...

Excellent! I am glad that our journeys are coming through for you folk back in Caledon, as well as other individuals abroad! Hope you enjoy them and find them entertaining and enlightening.