Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pale Recovery

The small wound on my neck has seemed to generate a great deal of trouble. It first forced me to rest more and eventually drove me to my tent which became a small working hospital room. I seem to be wracked with a horrid fever these past few days so vicious in its intensity I do not remember much of what has transpired. My skin, growing increasingly pale, has been covered in a constant sheen of sweat dampening nearly every article of clothing I have in my possession on this expedition. For the first day or so, the wound itself was red-tinged and angry. The pain from it was more from the searing which took place to seal and purify the wound. What has been more of a concern is a deep burning pain which seemed to emanate from the wound and stretch downward, curling over my shoulder and lacing itself across my chest and back. It was as if every capillary and vein were not on fire but simply smoldering with a dull fire that could not be extinguished.

Concerned, my first mate ventured slightly northward towards a small hamlet of houses she could see from the air. The cottages appeared to be built with an old world charm and, she hoped, hospitality. In addition, a circular stargate was mounted nearby. If functional, it could lead back to Mr. Pontchartrain's station and better facilities. She was unable to find any owners or natives nearby.

Near the hamlet she also found something else. Unrelated to my illness but hearing the siren song of the nautical and maritime which afflicts all sailors regardless of what oceans they sail upon or what ship they chose to fly, she was drawn to a what appears to be a fine frigate anchored in a deep inlet. Though originally (and still) a pilot of great skill, its obvious that life aboard a flying ship allows her to indulge in both her love of things that fly and sail. I share this love of such things with her and nearly all my crew. The frigate reminded her a great deal of our own vessel and she told me as much. From what I have seen of her lines, I would agree.

If my condition worsens, the plan, from what I've heard from eavesdropping in on conversations near me, they intend to find the owners of the buidings and look for me to be stationed there until my health returns or a better establishment may be found.

Fortunately, today, I appear to be growing healthier. I still await word from those vampires Mr. Reymont had mentioned in a previous entry of his own explorations but the cold fire in my veins appears to be subsiding and my fever is gone. From appraising myself in the mirror, I can see that I am still quite pale. I startled my crew a few moments ago by stumbling out from my tent in my bedclothes and a black cloth wrapped around my neck to cover the wound. I thought for a moment they were to press-gang me as they leaped upward and physically forced me back into my cot. But, I do feel much better and have opted to try and get some word out on my recovery.

As things progress, I shall endeavor to keep all informed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.