Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Into Valentine Valley

Leaving the station behind and above me, I travelled northeastward and back to the original spot where I had first encountered Mr. Roo. As I gazed out toward the open ocean my periphereal vision picked out an odd sparkle coming from the North. The flash was momentary but upon focusing on the area of its origin I was able to detect a patch of white, like distant snow upon the ground.

Curious, I travelled that direction until I came into Pinehouse county and upon another inlet, a northernly sister to the one I had just left. This one, however, seemed gripped by the effects of some sort of micro-climate conditions. Ice choked the entire inlet and a decent amount of snow desperately clung to the evergreen tree branches. Icicles dangled from a large wooded bridge spanning the inlet itself.

The area must have held some significance for the local natives as the entirety of the area was embellished with ribbons, decorative lights, candles, and small posters. The area appeared to be a communal gathering place for celebrating some festivity. One sign encouraged ice skating but warned of thin ice while several other places featured open air tables, chairs, and even opium den-like cushion arrangements. The air temperature was surprisingly comfortable given the wintery surroundings so time spent lounging on a cushion or relaxing at a tea table would not be unbearable. The whole area carried a feeling much like early Spring, warming air but with snow on the ground. I am not sure how such a mix was maintained.

Upon realizing the date I can only assume this area is intended for some sort of cupid-inspired festival for the upcoming Saint Valentine's Day. Indeed several, if not all, of the small posters features some version of the michevious love-bringing cherub. I can only surmise that this area has been designated for a Valentine Day's gathering and celebration of courtly and honorable Love. Or, well, I suppose given what I have seen somewhat of the Mainland and its culture, its an area for lovers to gather for some time together or, forgive me for saying, a tryst. At least, I noted happily, there were no altars to the almight Dollah here which seem to be everywhere there is a social area.

I did find a most surprising presentation. In what I have to assume to be a somewhat sarcastic gesture or perhaps a nod to the darker side to the romantic holiday, I found a large tombstone. If I had any doubts as to what the nature of the celebration could be, they were washed away when I saw the name carved upon the headstone. Perhaps the celebration to come held a darker side which was celebrated on the Mainland? However, I leaned towards something of a darker but less serious humor.

I explored towards the ocean, climbing up the small ridge that protected the inlet from the ocean's wind. A splendid view greeted me as well as a fine coastal home which had been constructed to obviously take advantage of the view. Unfortunately, like many of the other homes I have seen, it stood empty. From it I looked northward again and saw an interesting structure standing like a lone sentinel against the sky. Drawing nearer, I saw it to be nothing less then a grand work of art.

A gigantic flower, perhaps forty to forty five hands high, reached upwards while away from it several petals were locked in mid-air, frozen in place by an invisible force as they appeared to be blown away from the flower and out towards the ocean. At the ground a simple plaque read, "Imagine... Peace."

I stood sometime struck by the piece and the message. I found it beautiful. I wondered if I was looking at some sort of war memorial from some past war the Mainlanders had fought. Perhaps, it was simply an artistic statement for world peace? Why had the artist placed the piece here at the defining place between three elements, Earth, Air, and Water? I found myself moved and captivated by the simplicty and message of the piece and spent much time sitting underneath it, the ocean wind playing about me and the coast spread out to me left and right. I also took several images of the art piece for not only archival purposes but as my own form of artistic expression. My thoughts wandered further. If we are to imagine Peace, where does one start? I would imagine with understanding and is this not, in part, what this Expedition is about?

Once again, I am shocked by the intelligence, creativity, and careful thought exhibited by the Mainlanders. Not only that, there appears to be such a wide spectrum of individuals here of a variety of different species. And with a single artistic piece, this artist had been able to speak to all of them, Caledonians included.

Once finished here, I plan to camp underneath the sculpture. It shall be good to wake up to it and see it against the morning sun. From here, we will follow the coastline northward.

No comments: