Friday, January 12, 2007

The Temple on The Mesa


We had managed to venture along the side wall of the complex without interruption. Along the way, Miss Ofeq seemed entranced with not only the colors and patterns but the new and astounding way they had been put to use. Coming to the corner of the front of the building, we took a deep breath and ventured forth.

Turning the corner we were able to see at least three natives standing around the entrance. Their clothing and features were quite unusual and varied. After a few moments of taking in the scene I decided to speak with one of them, who appeared from her stance and central posistion on the stairs, to be a priestess of the temple. They had noticed our arrival but did not show concern for it. I can only imagine that with such varied and startling appearances as what we had seen entering and leaving the temple our appearances were nothing unusual. As I approached, they stood their ground.

First contact situations are always rather nerve-wracking. Filled with a rush of excitement and also hesitancy to not make a mistake, I did my best at offering an introduction which I had planned in advance. The native did indeed understand my speech but did not truly grasp what I was saying. I was able to understand that she was not a priestess but was, in fact, a visitor to the temple herself. Barely had our conversation began when she demonstrated a strong psychic ability and called me by my first name, which I had not given her, and continued to wish us both well in our explorations. She then departed with what I can only take to be a ceremonial statement of departure, "I'm outtie."

Before I was able to ascertain what she might be "out of" she simply disappeared in a small ground based swirl of lighted spheres due to teleportation technology or crystal magic.

Other natives had gathered at our exchange but they stood around us unspeaking. I must say, the effect was rather disconcerting. Miss Ofeq was drawn by the riotous paintings of the interior and with sketchbook in hand, she stepped boldly into the temple. I tensed for fear that we might be violating some form of custom but I was able to relax as the other natives seemed to take no offense to Miss Ofeq's action. Looking up, I saw that in great, large, and colorful (some might say vulgar) paint as the interior were displayed some sort of ritual proclamation or perhaps the name of their entity. The words read, I believe, "Hippiepay!" A strange and odd saying, indeed.

My eyes already throbbing from the intensity of the colors, I followed Miss Ofeq. Again, I am thankful for my varied and unusual encounters as an explorer and, more importantly, my time with the Fey Folk. It is because of those experiences that I am better able to handle strange, unusual, or even uncomfortable surroundings. It is because of them that I was able to politely withstand the sensory barrage that assaulted me once inside the temple space. The colors continued rampant, swirling all around us, and as out of control as an unguided rogue elephant. The floor below us carried a bright pattern of images that looked like symbolic representations of a flower, the walls seemed to throb with patterns and chromatic assaults, and all around us the great booming voice continued to proclaim the next person who had been "rewarded."

Directly across from the entrance stood what must have been a kind of sacred ceremonial chamber. A large glowing green image was cast upon a thick circular door, the central posistion and size of the room indicating great importance. Yet even with that emphasis, none of the other natives went near that central room. Instead, they would approach smaller brightly colored altars stretched along the outer walls of the vast single room. Once there they would stand and then perform an odd standing bow which they would hold for long stretches of time. One of those individuals stood directly in front of the large central holy room and was the first person one would see upon entering.

This, then, must be the high priestess. I approached her and offered up a similiar introduction as outside but was greated with no speech or response. At first, I assumed them under some sort of vow, perhaps of silence. Occasionally, the person would take the posture of the standing bow and I, as well as Miss Ofeq, would perform the posture in return as a sign of respect. This, in turn, gained us no response. It was not until several uncomfortable moments had passed before I realized that it was no person I was addressing but instead was an amazing form of clockwork servant! Astounding! The attention to detail, the life-like appearance were all truly stunning and completely fooling in their presentations! The female before me certainly looked real enough but must not have been. Miss Ofeq drew several sketches and I know there will be several scientists and engineers back in Caledon who will be interested in such a thing. What this clockwork servant's actual use eluded us however so we moved onward. She seemed nothing more then a silent sentinal.

Noticing a purple skinned, alien looking native taking notice of our investigations, I introduced myself and Miss Ofeq. The creature appeared to be female and was dressed in black garments that I would attribute to a priest, sorceress, or a monk of some type. However, with their color I would might have assigned her a more imperial role. Able to speak our language fluently, she quickly declined being a priestess of the temple. She did, however, help us along by informing us that it was in fact a temple dedicated to an entity she called, "The Almighty Dollah." The holy process, she explained, was automated and required no real priests or clergy. Pilgrims could come to the temple and by praying at the small altars would be deemed worthy of a reward if their prayers and meditations were correct. The reward being financial funds to spend over the countryside and thus spreading the word of the almighty Dollah.


Regarding other things in the temple, she explained to us that the smiling faces emblazoned on the surfaces of the temple were yet another holy symbol representing "those faithful that attained their reward," or "the rewarded faithful." She was, unfortunately, unable to answer our questions concerning the large central room. I continue to maintain that it was a central gathering spot for whatever caregivers or priests would have to be present to maintain a building of this size and traffic.

The alien introduced herself only as Tatiara and proclaimed she did, in truth, know of Caledon since she had visited there several times. This was fortunate news indeed for although Caledon is not without her foreign visitors, I found it extreme luck to chance upon one within such a short time of being in their land. Her and Miss Ofeq spoke of matters concerning the country and Tatiara's visit to our fair land. While they spoke, I turned and attempted to pray at one of the small altars. Taking the same pose as demonstrated by the clockwork girl, I bowed. I stayed in place for some time but was not rewarded by my efforts or by the loud voice which continued to echo in the halls of the temple. I can say I was hardly surprised and hope that my actions were not seen as insulting to the great Dollah of the Mainland.

After doing this, I watched the various pilgrims for a short time before thanking Tatiara for answering our questions and venturing back outside to take a closer look at a colorful carriage outside the temple adorned with the mystical phrase "hippiepay" I came to the conclusion that the term was a sort of mantra to be repeated over and over rapidly. Perhaps this very repetition, performed silently, helps in the prayerful meditative state which, in turn, aids the pilgrim and makes them "worthy" mentally and spirtually in the eyes of the great Dollah?

The vehicle in question was a wheeled metal carriage with some form of hidden internal locomution. Well covered in the same garrulous painting that seemed so prevelant with the culture of the Dollah, it sat just outside the temple. None of the natives appeared to be using the carriage and I could not imagine actually using it for transportation. Mayhaps it was another memorial, a symbol representing the travel, the pilgrimage, undertook by the pilgrims attempting to be rewarded at the great Dollah's temple? I believe Miss Ofeq sketched the object had should have it with her notes.

The day was growing late indeed and pleased that our first encounters had gone so well, I suggested to Miss Ofeq that we find a spot to make camp. In response, Miss Ofeq agreed and added in that some strong cups of tea would be very nice. Agreeing that such a thing would be very invigorating, we retired a few yards behind the temple. The noise from those worthy few being rewarded continued to hound us and we had to retreat back the way we had come in order to find a suitable spot to set our evening camp. I called for the Albatross which descended from the sky and we began unloading our supplies so we might fortify ourselves as well as grab our camp gear. It was agreed upon by both of us that we had quite possibly stumbled upon a cultural find which would aid us greatly in our coming travels. If we could show some understanding of the Almighty Dollah with the natives, they might look upon us more favorably. Regardless, we both had much to record in order to keep the experience fresh and we did so over two cups of strong black tea. As I continued to record my thoughts on the experience I sat until the light faded watching from a distance as steady stream of pilgrims continued in and out of the Dollah's temple. At first light tomorrow, we will press on to the north as we can see structures in that direction.

1 comment:

▓▒░ TORLEY ░▒▓ said...

I've come back to this writeup several times, and it makes me smile a lot. I also feel that this institution known as HippiePay is a temple... my connection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/torley/393900299/