Tuesday, January 09, 2007

An Exemplary Expedition

While working on the redesign of my in-world shuttle I got the call which would change my day. Mr. Desmond Shang, leader, organizer, and head of the Caledon nation had sent a dispatch looking for volunteers to form up for a special and somewhat dangerous expedition. I immediatly returned the dispatch and proclaimed my desire to assist in what appeared to be an undertaking well suited to my skills. Within a short time, I received word and invitation to a small special gathering taking place within Victoria City of explorers and adventurers all interested in hearing more of what Mr. Shang had to say.

After all had been gathered, Mr. Shang began with the information that Caledon had been planning on mounting an expedition for some time, an expedition for the entire Caledonian nation. The target of the expedition was none other then the fabled "mainland" far to the North of Caledon. the idea being that selected explorers were to venture forth to gather what they could of the culture there as well as try to make social in-roads with the strange and interesting people. It was then he mentioned that it could, very well, be dangerous. Well, of course, no decent exploration or quest would be complete without a little danger.

I want to get the names of those gathered at that first meeting for archival purposes, if nothing else. However, I may have missed a few. I apologize if this is the case. At that first meeting were Justy Reymont, Woodstock Burleigh, Mylinn Oleq, Zoey Allstar, Jeremy Pertwee, Excalibur Longstaff, and, of course, myself. Those agreeing to the ten week long expedition would be chronicling their adventures in the harsh environment as best they could. These missives would then be sent back to Caledon so that Mr. Shang and the other citizens might be able to better understand their distant northern neighbor a little better. Upon completion, those that survived were to be welcomed back to Caledon with heroic celebrations and great circumstance.

From the initial meeting, Mr. Shang took us to a few shops where we were encouraged to gather whatever provisions we might need for the coming journey. At first suggest that he spend Caledon's money toward outfitting the others in our group who might not have the equipment needed. I, myself, needed little since I had been doing this for awhile and had owned much of my equipment for some time. There was no reason for me to expend any more of Caledon's resources. Our final stop was to Ordinal Enterprises and I realized that I had spoken out of turn. Upon arrival I spied the very nicely made Webley .45 pistol and a sturdy and well made stun baton for those less lethal first-contact situations. Mr. Shang was gracious enough to outfit me with both pieces for the coming journey.

It was also during this outfitting that a few other individuals arrived. First introduced was Duke Lucifer Baphomet, Duke of Darkmere. An interesting fellow with a demonic appearance to match his name. From what I was able to gather, Darkmere is a sister country to Caledon and Duke Baphomet was taking a personal interest in the proceedings as well as the upcoming expedition. I learned long ago from my time with the Fey to never let appearances alone speak for an entity. Duke Baphomet stayed through all of the outfitting and even accompanied us on the final surprise ending to our afternoon. He was well mannered, pleasant, and I have a sneaking suspicion we will be seeing him again...


Others to our group arrived as well and included the wind-up girl Seven Shikami, Myla Moody, and Coyote Momiji. They too arrived at Ordinal's. Some concern was stressed on behalf of Seven who might find herself in a situation during the expedition where she could not wind herself. However, it was discussed that she would do well by travelling with others. No one disagreed and she was allowed to come along. Of course, her apparent ease and ability with the larger caliber weaponry helped her addition as well.


A name for the group was bantered about for some time, protocols were discussed for contact situations, and plans were also but into place in regards to contacting Caledon and with what frequency. The name "Caledon Victorian Expedition" was agreed upon and there, upon the floor of Ordinal Enterprises, it was founded. Indeed, a historic occasion Though, I mused, how historical will it be if none of us return safely?


At that point, Mr. Shang launched his final surprise to us. The expedition was NOT to start within a week but was, in fact, beginning immediately. No formalities, no parades ( I was hoping a bit for a parade), and no fond farewells as our vessels sailed or floated over the horizon were to happen. We were to leave as soon as possible aboard a Caledonian vessel that was waiting for not only our persons but our cargo as well. Led by Mr. Shang and his companion, Duke Baphomet, we crowded into the lower deck of a sturdy well-masted sailing vessel. I frantically tried to rearrange my plans upon my own vessel and to make things ready for an immediate course change. The best I was able to do was to have my first mate send down the Albatross from my airship outside world-space and have it sent to the coordinates given to me by Mr. Shang. I was also reminded by my first mate that although the Albatross should handle the situation it was still an unfinished vessel. So be it, it would have to be enough. The provisions were loaded and it was ordered to meet me at our destination.

And with that, I secured my place aboard the ship and prepared myself for the journey to come...

--- To Be Continued ---

2 comments:

Ordinal Malaprop said...

Oh dear, I fear that you flatter me with these attentions! However, I can guarantee that said products are proof against all forms of Environmental Degradation, including the influence of Poofers and other such primitive Particle Devices, and if any spares are required I would be quite happy to hop upon a dirigible to deliver them to your party.

Bry said...

It is not flattery if it is well deserved. Thank you for the information, however, and if we should need replacements it is good to know we would be able to gain them.

I have not used the stun baton as of yet and the Webley is delightful. In carrying such a pisotl I am reminded that it is very much like carrying a long coat or umbrella within Victoria City. It is far better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them!