Wednesday, January 10, 2007

An Exemplary Expedition, Part Two

After an uneventful voyage upon the Caledonian vessel, Mr. Shang announced landfall on the southern coast of the mainland. The ship's anchor was dropped and within a short while we were placed into longboats and taken to the beautiful and wild shore, lush and vibrant beneath warm and gentle sunshine. For many, this was an eventful moment, their first true steps upon a new world. As the crew of the vessel unloaded our various cargos, we travelled upward to higher ground and finally found a suitable spot.



Of course, the only right and true thing to do next was to hoist a Caledonian flag which Mr. Shang wasted no time doing. This was the spot. This would be the point of departure for all of us. Around me, others were busy hoisting up their first tents or setting up a small table for tea. Within moments, a campfire was in place. I myself took the opportunity to place a small beacon crystal into the earth there so I might be able to find it later.

The mood was merry. A flute of champagne was placed in my hands and we drank a toast to the health of the expedition. It was decided quickly that some would be heading off in different directions. I decided Eastward would be my path, following the shore line in hopes of eventually striking civilization. As those eager to begin their adventure began embarking, I stayed behind to take in the camp and to finish taking some images. I was also waiting for my somewhat tardy airship shuttle.

During this time Miss Mylinn Ofeq approached me and inquired upon travelling with my for at least part of the way. I informed her of my eastward destination and she had no qualms with it. After inquiring as to my thoughts on a "woman's place," I informed her that as long as she showed a confident streak and could hold herself together should things become rough, I was really unsure of what "place" she was speaking of. She assured me that such was not a concern. My views aboard an Othership have slanted me a bit from my other Victorian counterparts as to what a woman's "place" may or may not be.

I've seen women captains carrying sabres, pistols, and a roar that would be fierce enough to frighten even the hardest gladiator. In my earlier days I made the mistake of thinking a woman belonged in a "place." I shan't do that again, I assure you! Regardless, I, of course, granted Miss Ofeq's request and she will be travelling with me until she deems it necessary to follow her own path. I look forward to her addition of sketching and note taking skills for the quest. She will be featuring her own additions either here or in another journal elsewhere.

Eventually, the others were either settling down at the impromtu base camp or had ventured off to begin their adventure. Mr. Shang and Duke Baphomet had excused themselves to take care of important matters onboard the ship. The only thing of note that I feel is important to include here is that Duke Baphomet handed us all interesting string pouches. Upon opening them, I discovered there to be interesting coinage. He would say no more on the matter and before more questions could be asked of him, he was on his way back to the vessel.


Eventually a small chirp on my other crystal informed me that the Albatross was inbound. I said my goodbyes and began directing them to a suitable landing spot. Within moments, the Albatross came gliding down from the near cloudless sky and after dropping anchor, I began loading up what small provisions I had into her narrow and tight confines. Miss Ofeq's cargo as well found a place in the lower berth. Placing it into a holding station several hundred feet skyward, I opted for a bit of overland travel. Not knowing what we might be running into, I did not wish to scare anyone by descending upon them from the heavens. No, on foot would be best at first.

With that, Miss Ofeq and I left the basecamp behind and headed east, northeastward toward an unsure destination. I know not what we will find when we clear these trees. When there is a moment I will endeavor to write what I can as soon as I can. Wish us luck.

Below are included several more images from our basecamp for the enjoyment of my readership.





No comments: