Monday, February 05, 2007

Evidence of An Older Civilization!

The underwater equipment was quick in coming. In my stores, I have a wide array of equipment and devices handed to me by the previous owner of my vessel as well as several gifts given to my by my sylvan friends. Most of this is magical and crystal based in origin which, I must say, took some getting used to in the early years. One such item was a large supply of water breathing potions which, as the name suggests, allows the drinker to breathe water as if it is air. Unfortunately, I discovered after my first attempt of the stuff that I cannot abide the sensation of breathing water. Instead, I typically use a fairly close fitting dark outfit with a circular bubble-like device worn over my head. Upon the rear of this helmet is mounted a small non-sentient sponge-like creature found by aquatic sylvans which, as part of its respiration, processes air into the helmet from the outside water. The device is not good for deep depths but, for shorter, shallower dives, it was my equipment of choice.

The dive was fairly uneventful and although the cave itself, a fully submerged chamber, was rather plain, I did find the large remains of an older culture in the form of ruins just off shore. A curving stone pillared area, perhaps an old amphitheatre, garden, or section of home awaited me just below the surface. What it actually was connected to has been lost in time but, by finding these ruins, it's obvious that a much older culture established itself here eons ago. The find was in relatively good condition and surrounded by schools of colorful fish. (Unfortunately, my imaging device is not capable of color underwater at this time.) The top curving piece of stone seemed to have shifted towards the outer curve of the structure. This is most likely due to the pull of ocean currents as well as the wearing of the tide. It is also possible that the wave action of a large storm was strong enough at some point to shift the piece slightly. The columns were smooth marble without adornment whatsoever. It was a delightful find and it prompted me to find other evidence in the area of a previous culture.

Though exploring the ocean's bottom extensively I saw no sign of any other ruins or artifacts that would match with the ruins I found. Across the small inlet's mouth, on the far shore, I did discover an interesting spring system that appeared to have been modified in some way by intelligent hands. Perhaps this was connected at some time to the remains found under the water's surface? A small area used for oceanside docking? A small center for trade and travel? The materials used certainly seemed similiar. I've marked the area on the archival maps for further research if it is deemed necessary.

Evidence of an older society is not new news. Others have found numerous artifacts and ruins that suggest that an advanced society once thrived upon the very land we walk. The only problem is that much of this society is lost to the mist of time. Most discoveries only prompt more questions. Who were they? What was their world like? Why did they build here? I always find that instances when I come across these areas are always thought provoking journeys.

As I said, the cave itself was a rather nondescript opening carved into the stone of the shore by tidal wave action. I saw nothing of any import in the cave itself other then a series of odd concrete or stone looking blocks some of which had lengths of chain wrapped around them. Perhaps used as anchors at some point, I have no idea how they might have come to rest upon the floor of the cave. The chamber offered no other exit points and appeared to be an isolated cavern. Certainly, the ruins slighty away from the cave were the real find of the day.

I came back ashore and dried myself and my equipment. After logging the find and sketching a few maps for perhaps further research, I sent my equipment to be packed back aboard the Albatross. Then, I looked across the inlet at what was to be my next adventure.

It was a tall stone walled fortress of a place with four tall towers. Rather forboding in the failing light, I knew that it would be my next destination. Perhaps, however, not one to be read about by those of faint constitution for after a brief scouting I discovered that above the doorway were emblazoned the following words...

"Be Naughty"

If what Explorer Justy has recorded as to his expedition is any indication, I believe I may be on the verge of having a simliar encounter. We shall see...

No comments: