Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Respite

Though the area seems filled with privacy giving invisible walls, I have managed to press further northward along the coast. Hearing of my difficulties earlier, a kind Caledonian, Vulpine Eldrich advised me of a location slightly more inland which featured the beginning of an actual road. I greatly appreciated the kind gesture! Though such a thing would make my travel infinitely easier, I have decided to hold it in reserve for now. If my ground travel is blocked any further, I shall fall back to that location. I believe that a thorough survey of the Mainland coastline will prove of great import so I continue onward. As long as I can find some manner of passage forward, no matter how narrow, I will press forward.

Miss Ofeq has been gone for several days as she is quite enraptured with the stargate technology we had found previously. She last left my presence after she was quite sure I was not to turn into an undead creature of the night. I thought it quite thoughtful of her. Its been a week or perhaps a bit more and the lack of her presence is sadly noticed.

The vampiric bite wound still refuses to heal properly. I do, however, feel an improvement in my health. There is still something clinging to me like a spiderweb clinging to one's neck, felt but never seen. A combination of apathy and exhaustion pulls down my typical good spirits, goes with me from morning wakefulness to unsettling slumber. In my fitful sleep appear black featureless forms with glowing coal eyes, blood, the pounding of a drum, screams in the distance, in the night, that upon waking have no source. That it is connected to my wound inflicted on my by a cruel supernatural creature, I have no doubt. My question I carry now is how do I rid myself of it? My fear is that I cannot and will have to carry this gray weight for the rest of my life.

Travelling northwards, I have found little of note until late this afternoon. Climbing a rise, I was greeted by a view which immediately induced me to pull forth my imager. A quiet and peaceful cove in which stood a small house with two gently rocking and anchored sailboats. Behind it, some sort of rock formation in the underlying topography had created an angular rise, framing and protecting the small inlet. It is moments and views such as this that work upon me as steam upon gearwork. With this small scenic, I felt my heart lighten and I felt at ease. Enjoying the reprieve from garish paint and haphazard architecture, I sat there for some time simply drinking in the view. I felt no need to investigate the home or the boats. I had no wish to intrude into this painting, climb through its frame, investigate it, image it, explore it. No. It was enough to sit quietly and view the painting from the outside. Sometimes NOT exploring, not uncovering something is what needs to happen. For me, it was that moment.

No comments: