Saturday, July 21, 2007

Getting Started

My wait outside the great hall was short lived as Azuria's contact found me and they began the process of checking me into their registration. My thoughts were scattered during this time. The initial thought of trying to contact my crew led me to worry that they might try a recovery mission and how could I warn them not to do so. To be honest, I had never experienced such a rough portal entry before and the consequences that I nearly died or, in a worse case scenario, could have been trapped in an eternal stasis between dimensions began to flood over me. Seeing my thoughts turning to such matters, Azuria's attendant quickly guided me to some temporary housing which MAGI provided to new individuals in need of it and encouraged me to have some food and get rest. The quarters were little more then a bed and a window but I was glad for them. Food was brought and after eating I quickly fell into sleep.

I am not sure how long I slept but I awoke fully rested and with daylight streaming through my window. Wandering outside to get some fresh air, I took in a small grassy park which was nearby and sat on a park bench there to gather my thoughts and to journal what I had experienced so far. I also took stock of my meager equipment. I was glad I had done some research on this world and decided to wear the control gloves gifted to me by the Magister of Glyssis. Powered by crystalline threads, they would allow me to control the more violent individuals I might encounter by a form of telekinesis which works with a world's latent gravitational and magnetic fields. It has always been my contention to use non-lethal forms of self-defense first, like the shock rod I used on my mainland expedition and I considered the gloves perfect for this goal. An item that rarely failed upon dimensional arrival, I still gave them a test run by using it to manipulate the branches of a nearby tree.

A leather carrying pouch with various crystals was still intact but taking them out and attempting to activate them brought another disappointment in that few actually appeared to work. The greatest discouragement being the flying crystal, which I had grown used to using throughout my Mainland Expedition, were not active. One of the hazards of working with crystals is a situation called "arrival failure." This occurs when the resonance of the crystal itself fails to work within a certain world's magical energies or, alternatively, they take various amounts of time to adapt to those new energies. Only time would tell in regard to the ones that sat dark and lightless in my hand as I tried activating them. I was happy, however, to note that the greenish Alonum which would allow me to not only heal myself but others was working strongly. One must work with what they have, I thought to myself as I tucked them into my belt holders. As I stood to begin a small stroll a cry of alarm drew my attention.

Nearby, a citizen was being assaulted by a rough looking group of rogues carrying clubs and wearing kerchiefs to conceal their features. The older woman, distraught, was in obvious peril and without hesitation I raced to her defense. Activating my gloves, I locked one brigand into place and then flung another into the air. The woman ran for safety and I turned to deal with the one which had drawn a handgun.

In the end, they were ill-equipped to deal with the crystalline magic and unable to stand the strain it put on their systems. Within moments, they were unconscious and on the ground. Unsure of what to do at this point, I nearly returned back to my small apartment but another masked individual dressed in bright reds and blues ran to the scene. With a quick explanation and demonstration, he showed me how I could attach small electronic homing markers on any criminals I stop and the city would teleport them to a safe location. As a final gesture, he tossed something small onto each unconscious hoodlum. They immediately began to fade away as part of a slow teleportation process. The man then left before I could record his name.

Then, like the surface of a pond settling after a disturbance, it was as if the event never happened.

I stood there mulling over what had occurred. Around me, the city continued in its pace. I moved back to my equipment at the park table and tried to write down what has happened so far. I have been here writing for perhaps two hours and have just brought the entire story so far to the present. By seeing it in front of me the full weight of my situation has settled around me. What research I had been able to find on this world was light. It had not prepared me for the full scope of what is happening here. To be truthful, I had not expected a world or its people to be so powerful in their abilities and so capable with inter-dimensional travel. It is almost as if this place IS on the verge of becoming a registered dimensional harbor but it just doesn't know it yet.

And... I am stranded here.

Until I can either find a way to connect to my crew, or they to me, I will remain here. I suppose, considering the vast potential I have seen here in so short of a time, it is possible that MAGI might find a way for me to rebuild my shuttle. Azuria has also mentioned another group called Portal which holds an interest in other dimensions. I realized with a chuckle that if there were a place for an interdimensional explorer to be stuck, this would be it. As my mentor was fond of saying, "Tis all a matter of your perspective and your attitude."


Even as I write this there is the staccato of gunfire and a painful cry just a block or two away. It jars me back to the present even more so and I realize that although I have my own questions to wrestle with, I am also needed here. My thought flashes back to the small, nearly forgotten statement from the mystic who visited my ship just before I left, "All will be needed." From my experiences and observations so far it is obvious that this world is caught in a massive struggle with darker forces that wish to harness its potential for their own purposes.

And so, while I am here, I will lend my skills to the engagement.

I wrap this entry up and I hope that, if nothing else, it will get to my crew. I am not sure entirely how but they are a wily and resourceful bunch. As I have always done, I will continue to keep a record of my thoughts and experiences here when I have the time. However, there is so much for me to get done here I do not know, for certain, when that might be.

No comments: