Monday, July 23, 2007

More Questions Then Answers

It is impossible for me to relate everything that has transpired even over such a scant amount of time as these past few days. I have met a number of not only local civilians but costumed heroes who are attempting to help in a fight that appears to be never-ending against the tyrants and thugs that plague this place. I've worked on several engagements and feel worn to the bone from lack of sleep. I will say, however, that I feel to have made some progress in better understanding this world. I have just begun to explore outside the realm of the war walls of Atlas Park. There is always something to do, someone else to help. The waves of violence in this place seem perpetual and there are time I am amazed the buildings are still standing given the threat level here.

A note on the war walls. From what I have been able to discover, these walls were erected after a dimensional invasion several years ago which the defenders here nearly lost. The alien race, called the Rikti, inflicted massive damage as they charged into this world and the war walls were build to lighten the amount of damage a large scale invasion. Rikti still live on the planet, being left here when dimensional travel was blocked between here and their home layer. I am only slightly familiar with the Rikti in my interdimensional travels and that is by name only. Since they mainly attack with low-flying dropships, these walls can be very effective in blocking anything similiar.

I continue to reside in the small apartment afforded me by MAGI for the time being. Although free and a honorable courtesy for MAGI to offer it to me, I find it rather restrictive. On top of not seeing it much with my current activity level, there also appears to be several MAGI agents near the building that take note of my coming and going. I have decided to dip into my gem stores to help fund my own location. Luckily, it is an old habit of mine that before entering a location I am always sure to bring an emergency fund of precious and semi-precious gems that match the world in question. I would say that being stranded for the foreseeable future constitutes an emergency and so, I can safely say I will have my own place soon.

During the past day or so I have discovered something of great import; a mystical group that may very well be behind the dimensional interference I encountered when entering this realm. They call themselves the Circle of Thorns and those within MAGI have little love of them. I am currently still researching them further but they appear to be a very old and very nefarious cabal of dark mages. While moving through the edges of a city park, I stumbled on several lower ranked mystics attempting to bind the soul of an abducted civilian. I was able to easily route them. Two things concerned me during and after the affair. While one of the robed men staggered away, he turned and gazed at me with his glowing eyes. From his mouth came came the hissed words, "We know you." Unfortunately I was still engaged with four of his brethren that I was unable to stop him and learn how he knew me.

However, the second thing might very well answer the prior because when I first saw the mystics I was stunned to note that the green glowing aura around their ceramonial circle was the very same energy which had collided with my own dimensional portal! This taken with the previously mentioned comment leads me to believe that, indeed, the Circle of Thorns might have played a hand in my accident which has left me stranded here.

To what end, I am unsure. I do feel that this is hardly the last encounter I will have with the Circle of Thorns!

Another item of note concerned an interaction I had with a hero whose name I shall withhold for the time being. Contacting me on the small datapad afforded new heroes, he asked to meet with me privately. Since I was already close to the meeting point, I agreed. Claiming to be on contract with the Portal Corporation, he informed me that he had been given the assignment to track my movements. Surprised by his candor, I asked for more information but he gave none except a warning that the Portal Corporation needed to be watched closely and a small technological device they had given him which had been programmed with my "dimensional signature." Asking more about this, he claimed that Portal had been watching not only me but my ship since entering local Otherworld space and were curious about the "energies at my command." Handing me the device and claiming, "its a shame I lost this little thing," he then extended his aid in my current endeavor which was to rescue a civilian who had been abducted into the local sewer network.

I took the device and have since looked it over. I am quite sure they know nothing of what it takes to become an Otherworld ship captain but I was more then leery of the odd mechanical device. I am quite aware that his story was nothing but a cover and the device was actually a tracking bug in the first place. Still, I carry it and plan on tinkering with it further. I will be able to ascertain its function given enough time. If it is truly a beneficial move, I might be able to use it to jam whatever signal they have on me.

Finally, my long standing readers will recognize the following irony that my first teammate whom I found myself partnered with during an action against a group of street thugs was..... a vampire.

Calling herself Vampress It is, if nothing else, proof positive that the great Universal Winds have a sense of humor. My first encounter with a vampire did not go very well. I find it interesting that I've come across a vast Otherworldly distance only to encounter, yet again, another vampire. Even though other explorers have had more balanced encounters with them and their culture, I cannot get over the fact that I consider them unpredictable and dangerous. Of course, some would say the same for the Fey with which I am known to have an affiliation. Elves and the Fey have long since carried both labels of "dangerous" and "unpredictable." I suppose there is a lesson in all of this for me.

To her defense, Vampress acted honorably throughout our action against the thugs we were facing as well as staying level-headed against my rather pointed questions to her. Of course, she does not know of my past and I do not know of hers. At least she wore her vampiric nature openly, unlike the fiend I encountered so many months ago. Within that honesty, and the fact she was registered with this city, I found a bit of assurance. We parted amicably and who is to say if I will encounter her again.

I've made a note to research what vampiric culture might exist in this world as soon as I can get free time to do so. Even thought my days have been filled with activity, I've been making research notes on how to proceed once things slow down. Hopefully, that will be soon.

3 comments:

coyo said...

((OOCly, may I ask which server you are on? I'm very much enjoying your writings!))

Rusty Buchanan said...

((No problem! I need to find a way to put that on the page in a subtle way. Rusty is currently on the Virtue server. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! See ya there, maybe?))

coyo said...

((I'm on Virtue as well! Brand new character since it appears I was absent too long and my old one was removed. I'm 'Nell' there.))