Sunday, July 29, 2007

Invasion

I do not have much time. Several days ago this world was breached by dimensional portals that heralded a second invasion of the race known as the Rikti. I mentioned them in my earlier post for the reason the war walls had been constructed and their arrival for the second time has brought this city into chaos. I believe this is the event that I was informed of and which brought me to this world in the first place.

Several days ago, around mid-morning, I was alerted by the sound of air sirens blaring throughout Atlas Park. Directly after the sirens there came a crackling in the very air as the war walls suddenly turned off. Vaulting from my small desk where I was examining a piece of salvage found after a battle with the robotic Clockwork, I stood in shock as I watched a line of Rikti bombers cruising over the skyline. Bombs tumbled from their undercarriages and into the city below.

Grabbing my equipment, I made for the streets to see what aid I could provide. Already several heroes in the area had begun organizing teams and I strove to help several citizens to shelter as in the distance the thumping sound of bombs grew louder. Suddenly, my apartment building behind me exploded in a brick throwing burst which knocked me to the ground. Gaining my feet again, I quickly began using my crystals to heal myself and anyone I could find.

Within minutes, I found myself in a warzone as Rikti began to descend via teleportation to the streets below. Grouping with what heroes I could find, we formed a circle and defended ourselves as best as we could. I held a support position, healing continually, and feeling my crystal grow warmer and warmer in its holder till I thought it would burn through to my skin. I survived that encounter and making sure there were no citizens in danger, I ran to another engagement I could see transpiring down the street. After that, we moved to another and another. Eventually, the Rikti broke and began to teleport back to their ships.

I do not know how long I have been fighting. I write this now from a small shelter in an area of the city called King's Row. The shelter is filled with homeless citizens and exhausted fighters like myself hoping for a small bit of food, water, and a place to lie in safety until the next wave. I have heard that they are attacking on many fronts and that they have attained at least one anchor head. Others there are fighting that battle and, for now, I have decided to stay put and do what I can locally. If I can make my way to the more intense areas, I will.

I will be able to write more soon but for now I am tired, dirty, and my emotions are worn thin. I was able to place my viewer on automatic during several battles so as to record what I could of the invasion for my records. I provide these images now and perhaps they can tell the tale better then I.


No comments: