Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Trying to Catch Up

My apologies on the gap in posts. Between work, weather, and illness, the real world has been a bit fierce as of late. Things here will continue onward soon enough. In the meantime, I want to touch on a reply from a fellow blogger, hammerwielder in regards to the previous post on the "evils of internet addiction" and I think he puts things very succinctly.

"While having this in mind, I can tell that all of this is really a matter of changing paradigms. We need to face the fact that the Metaverse's facets are really planes of existence in which people express their personality.

This basically means they also have to face the dangers if a part of their personality out rules any other ..just like in RL. Which brings us down to the way we should handle these worlds: with prior education instead of what most of the media is doing: blowing on the doomsday-horn constantly with different variations of the virtual world's tune:)"

I cannot stress the importance of his second sentence enough. He has a Second Life blog which you can check out by clicking on his name above.

The Game Developer's Conference is taking place this week. Every year, it sneaks up on me and I find that I have not planned appropriately to go. This year is no different. I'm thinking of walking down to my bank this week and opening an account specific to going next year even if its only for a few days. I try not to look at the GDC page too much because I get grumpy at my own ability to plan a trip which is said because I make my mad American dollars by being an event coordinator. There's humor there, I just don't want to acknowledge it.

One summit in particular is the Worlds in Motion Summit which focuses on, you guessed it, virtual worlds. To gaze upon it from my snow covered world of the midwest makes me sad. Next year, oh yes, next year...

No comments: